Seven Crochet Steps to Mindfulness
Crocheters can practice mindfulness using this easy seven-step exercise
- Select your favorite crochet hook and a really cozy easy-to-work-with yarn.
- Sit comfortably in a quiet space with your work.
- Begin to crochet a foundation chain, one slow loop at a time, counting each chain as you go. Do not allow yourself to think about anything except creating the chain.
- Focus on the details of creating the chain. Notice how the yarn feels against your skin. Pay attention to the detailed hues of the yarn and hook. See if you can mentally be aware of each micro-movement that makes the loop.
- Your mind will naturally begin to drift to thoughts of other things, like the bills that are due or a conversation you had earlier in the day. Each time that happens, frog the chain.
- Take a deep breath after frogging the chain and start over with chain one.
- Repeat the process until you are able to complete a full foundation chain of ten loops without having to frog it because of extraneous thoughts.
That’s it! You may only be able to get to four or five loops at first because your mind is running rampant. Be gentle with yourself and just keep practicing. As time goes on, you may be able to make longer chains of mindfulness. Do this regularly to infuse your life with the rest and relaxation that we each need and deserve.